Indiana University RedStepper Dance Team
The RedStepper Dance Team is an integral part of the IU Marching Hundred. Since 1972, these ladies have added an element of sparkle to the Band’s performances. The team focuses on many styles of dance including ballet, jazz, and pom, and has a tradition of executing a beautiful kick-line during each halftime performance. Members are actively involved in IU’s football game day experience. RedSteppers dance on the field as a spirit team during football games and perform with the band during halftime.
- Fall Practice is Monday-Friday 4:10-5:45pm
- Participants receive 2 class credits
- Depending on how many years a dancer has been part of the band, the dancer is
allowed to miss 30 minutes of class time per week due to other class conflicts.
- 1st year in band=30 minutes of class time
- 2nd year in band= 60 minutes of class time
- 3rd year in band= 90 minutes of class time
- 4th year in band= 120 minutes of class time
* If a dancer must miss more than the amount of time above, the dancer will be a permanent alternate for the season.
IU Marching Hundred Band Camp: Sunday, August 16 to Saturday August 23, 2020
Spring Semester Practice:
- Mondays and Wednesdays 4-6pm* (Times subject to change)
- Participants receive 1 class credit
Spring Semester is NOT mandatory. However, only those enrolled in the class are able to do spring performances.
- Every home Football Game (All Day)
- Usually one away game a year
- 2-3 volleyball games, 2-3 soccer games, 1-3 wrestling matches, 2-6 basketball games, clinics, community events, Riley Dance Marathon, Hoosier Hysteria, pep rallies, etc.
Red Boot Boot Camp:
We will meet once in the summer to do team bonding and get a start on the season’s material. Dates for this will be given at auditions. It is mandatory unless there is an extenuating circumstance. Dancer would need to cover his or her own transportation and boarding.
Auditions for the 2020-2021 Season:
Due to COVID-19, Auditions for the 2020-2021 season will be held by video. This will be the ONLY audition of the season.
Please sign up for Video Auditions by May 7. Participants will receive an email with the routines to learn on May 8. Participants need to send videos back by May 17. The 2020-2021 Team will be announced May 19.
Routines participants will need to learn from video:
- *Choreography to the school song
- A 1 minute jazz/pom routine that includes a kick line series; participants will need to include some of their own choreography at the end of this routine. Good options include turns in second, other leaps, hip hop skills like headsprings or kip-ups, gymnastics skills like back handspring or aerials. Show your personality!
*The Choreography to the school song is available before the clinic. On clinic day, we will quickly go over this choreography; therefore, it would be beneficial to practice the routine before auditions.
Participants will need to also videotape themselves doing
- Double Turn (Minimum, would like to see triples or quads)
- Right and Left Split, hold for 30 seconds each with arms in a T
- Leap series on right side. Right leap into center leap into calypso. If participants do not have adequate room, participants can film themselves doing each of these leaps individually.
- *If you have turns in second, please show these as well. This is not a requirement.
How to Video Tape:
- Find a place that has good lighting and gives the participant adequate space.
- Have someone tape the participant from the front. If you use a phone, make sure to film with the phone horizontally instead of vertically. Make sure video is clear.
- Suggested to use phone to video, then upload to YouTube under an unlisted category.
- Email back video links. If participants can splice videos together using a program like iMovie, that is ideal, but not mandatory.
What to wear:
- Any IU top or top that is IU colors. Can be crop top or tank top. Please no baggy T-shirts.
- Athletic shorts, leggings, or crop leggings.
- Jazz shoes and athletic tennis shoes.
- Hair and make up should be game day ready.
For any questions please email the RedStepper Coach, Brookelyn Wood, at: firstname.lastname@example.org